The Future of Europe: Coping with Crisis
Great Decisions 2017 | Topic 1
The outcome of the United Kingdom referendum on EU membership sent shockwaves across the globe.
The outcome of the United Kingdom referendum on EU membership sent shockwaves across the globe. It even caught British voters by surprise. The European Union has helped secure peace in Europe for the past 70 years. Now it faces an uncertain future. Amid a refugee crisis, lingering financial recession and the constant specter of terrorism, unity seems more imperative than ever. But the Brexit vote underscores the complexities of integrating an extremely diverse continent. What will post-Brexit Europe look like, and how can U.S. foreign policy adapt?
Great Decisions Resources
- Index to Great Decisions Topics
- Global Discussion Questions
- Introduction: Continuity and Change in American Foreign Policy
- America's Year, France's Year
- A New Wave of Popular Fury Could Hit Europe in 2017
- Dealing with a simmering Ukraine-Russia conflict
- How Brexit Will Change the World
- The EU and the Refugee Crisis
- Asylum Applications in the EU/EFTA by Country, 2008–2016
- Taking Europe’s pulse: European economic guide
2016 Opinion Ballot Report