FPA U Course: Landing a Job in the Foreign ServiceEvent offered by:
Foreign Policy Association
- Saturday, December 4, 2010
6:00 PM - 8:30 PM
Volvo Hall - Scandinavia House
58 Park Avenue
New York, NY
- Event type
Today's diplomats are more likely to be found in flak jackets on the road to Kandahar than in pinstripes sipping cocktails at Paris soirees. The Foreign Service is an exciting, sometimes dangerous, career. Are you up for the challenge?
This course will show you what it takes to land a job in the esteemed U.S. diplomatic corps.
In this course you will learn:
- Which track (political, economic, consular, management or public diplomacy) is best for you
- Road-tested methods for preparing for the written exam and oral assessment
- Tips How the State Department hiring process works and who is the “Total Candidate”
- How to navigate your career path once you're in.
Shawn Dorman, a former Foreign Service Officer, is editor of Inside a U.S. Embassy: How the Foreign Service Works for America, the only book that truly answers the question: Who works in an embassy and what do diplomats actually do? She is also associate editor for the Foreign Service Journal, a monthly magazine for foreign affairs professionals.
Upcoming events in this area
Oct 28, 2021
New York , NY