FPA U Seminar: Landing a Job at the United NationsEvent offered by:
Foreign Policy Association
- Wednesday, October 12, 2011
5:30 PM - 8:00 PM
NYU Arthur L. Carter Journalism Institute
20 Cooper Square
New York, NY
- Event type
The United Nations continues to be the world's most influential international forum, but the path to employment within its multiple bodies and programs is often a challenging task.
In this seminar you will learn:
• How to understand the various bodies of the U.N. system: What are they and which are currently hiring?
• Realities vs. misconceptions: What degree do I need? What are the requirements? What can I expect to earn?
• What U.N. employers are currently recruiting for: Resume & cover letter tips, networking advice, and application guidance
• How to prepare for the UN Secretariat Young Professionals Program
• About training programs, internships, consultancies, & other non-traditional points of entry into U.N. employment
All attendees receive:
• The FPA U Landing a Job at the United Nations Tool Book on USB
• Enrollment in the Foreign Policy Association Global Jobs email alerts
• Free one-year digital subscription to Foreign Affairs magazine
• Light food and drink during networking/Q&A session
Who should attend this seminar?
• Graduate Students considering or preparing for a career at the U.N.
• Young Professionals interested in beginning a career at the U.N.
• Mid-Career Professionals transitioning to a career at the U.N.
Katarina Holm-Didio is a career and job search coach, with over 12 years of experience in international career development and global careers. Her experience includes consulting at the United Nations Development Programme, and global staff career development and staffing at the UN Secretariat, where she also worked with the National Competitive Recruitment Examination. Before joining the UN she worked in career services at Columbia University's Graduate School of International and Public Affairs.
Katarina's areas of expertise are careers in international affairs, job search in the US and internationally, resume and CV writing, mastering the job interview, successful networking, self assessment, and goal setting. In addition, she has specialized in cross-cultural competence for global careers. Katarina grew up in Finland and is fluent in Swedish and Finnish, in addition to English and some French.
Katarina has a Master's Degree in Social Science from Finland. Certifications include: Adult Career Planning and Placement from NYU; Cross-Cultural Competence from the Interchange Institute in Cambridge, and Myers Briggs Type Indicator and the Strong Interest Inventory. She is currently a part-time graduate student in Mental Health Counseling at Iona College.
Upcoming events in this area
Oct 12, 2023
New York , NY
The Peter G. Peterson Distinguished Lecture on National Security and Fiscal Policy 2023 with Dr. Mary Lovely
Oct 26, 2023
New York , NY