FPA U Seminar: Careers in International DevelopmentEvent offered by:
Foreign Policy Association
- Thursday, October 6, 2011
5:30 PM - 8:00 PM
NYU Arthur L. Carter Journalism Institute
20 Cooper Square
New York, NY
- Event type
From multilateral actors to non-governmental organizations, careers in international development offer excitement and the chance to work towards the greater good.
In this seminar you will learn:
• About current career opportunities in international development: Which organizations, NGOs, and foundations are hiring? What skills are in demand?
• About realities vs. misconceptions: Home office vs. field assignments, realistic salary expectations, lifestyle
• What employers are recruiting for: Resume and cover letter tips, networking advice, and application guidance
• About training programs & internships that can help you break into the field
• How to navigate your career path once you've got your job
All attendees receive:
• The FPA U Careers in International Development Tool Book on USB
• Enrollment in the Foreign Policy Association Global Jobs email alerts
• Free one-year digital subscription to Foreign Affairs magazine
• Light food and drink during networking/Q&A session
Who should attend this seminar?
• Graduate Students considering or preparing for a career in international development
• Young Professionals breaking into a career in international development
• Mid-Career Professionals transitioning to a career in international development
With a decade of international recruitment experience, Kate Warren is the Director of Global Recruitment Services at Devex, the leading provider of recruiting services to the international development community. She works with the human resources departments of the major donor agencies (like World Bank, United Nations, USAID), NGOs and consulting firms that make development happen. Prior to joining Devex, Kate was a recruitment officer for International Relief and Development - an NGO working in over 40 countries - and a deputy program manager and international recruiter for Checchi and Company, Consulting Inc, a USAID consulting firm focused on institutional reform in developing and post-conflict countries. She previously recruited interpreters in more than 300 languages for US immigration courts and international conferences.
With a pulse on hiring trends across the industry, and insider-knowledge on what it takes to break in, Ms. Warren is able to provide the practical information you need to get started or to advance your career in international development.
Upcoming events in this area
Oct 21, 2021